Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Rough side of Beauty

The Rough side of Beauty


As a lapidary, I certainly appreciate a well cut or uniquely cut gemstone. The art of taking a rough stone and shaping, cutting and polishing it is just that, an art. And I respect those who do it well and with passion.

But as a Rockhound, there is something about the natural form of gemstones, fossils, crystals and other materials found in Mother Nature that really excites me.

During my last trip to the Tucson Shows I purchased two Spessartite Garnet clusters. Despite the hundreds of stones in the case, my eyes went to them immediately. The beauty and complexity of their structure intrigued me and I could already see the design in my mind.

That same day I found some other amazing stones, all with their natural characteristics intact; a stunning piece of Lapis, roughly polished but not shaped, some shaped pieces of Schist with Pyrite crystals potruding right out of the middle and some exquisite Stalactite slices, revealing the intricate layering of minerals trapped inside.

My mission was made clear that day and I set out to create my Pachamama Collection, in honor of the Earth and with gratitude to the beauty I have the priveledge to create with.

With these amazing natrual elements I strive to create a balance of rough, natural material with cut and polished stones all set within a clean, simple setting of either 22k, 18k gold or Sterling Silver.

The best of both worlds coming together in a beautiful tribute to nature, to be worn close to your heart.


Pamela Huizenga

No comments:

Post a Comment